Friday, May 29, 2009

A day at the beach....

A rainy day at the beach is still better than a great day at work!

Yesterday, I was one of many chaperone's on the annual third grade field trip to Fire Island. I was so looking forward to this trip since last September, when Schmoogie's teacher told me of the excursion. I was elated to take the day off from work, take the school bus to board the ferry and frolic at the beach with my son. We'll have to drench ourselves in sunscreen, wear a funny hat, tank top, shorts, ooooh the sunshine and warm sand in our toes will be such a treat. We'll have lunch on a blanket, skip rocks into the ocean, gather shells, take in all of the freshly blossomed foliage along the boardwalk trail. What a fantastic day it'll be, Schmoogie!

So, yesterday, the day arrived. Almost ready, I had to remember to packed my positive attitude, as we embark on our field trip. The picture was quite different than Schmoogie and I had imagined. We were fully clothed from head to toe, sans sunscreen, add sweatshirt, umbrella, baseball hats, and a towel not for sitting on the beach, but rather for drying off. Throw in the rain jacket purchased at the beach's gift shop, and we had ourselves a field trip.

The rain was relentless. We still had the best time ever, and heck, who needs sun to have a nice day anyway? It was great, we still collected shells, ate lunch on the blanket (with our hoods up), we raced through the boardwalk trail, opposed to slowly taking it in, and basked in the rain. The kids played rain football on the beach while the Mom's (and Dad's) took shelter utilizing the fenced in garbage corral.

It was still better to spend my day with Schmoogie, the other chaperone's and their children, who are incidentally our friends outside of school, rather than being in my office.

We hoped for fun in the sun, and turned it into fun in the rain!

Peace.

3 comments:

OHmommy said...

Who needs sun to have fun... I am glad you turned a rainy day into a memorable one. The spring rain brings me down somedays too and I, just like you, have to remember to pack the right attitude and jump in the puddles. Rain is fun, no?

Sunflower Ranch said...

Hello P! I love your blog! You have an award waiting for you at Sunflower Ranch:

http://sunflowerranch.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-most-wonderful-favorite-award.html

Congratulations! :D

Elizabeth McKenzie said...

Any day is a good day, no matter what the weather when you're at the beach.