Monday, May 11, 2009

A Mother's Day to Remember

With excitement in their eyes, their hands filled with handmade treasures, their hearts filled with love, they jump on my bed and shout “Happy Mother’s Day!”

A handmade silhouette of my first born, the tiniest of flower pots with first week sprouting, and a white gift bag filled with pink and brown tissue paper and a gift card to East Wind Spa drown me as I awake from sleeping in, yet another gift for the day.

I gaze into both sets of eyes and admire their gigantic smiles and offer a big Mama hug to both of my adorable children. I squeeze them both, simultaneously and grin with happiness, inside and out. I lovingly look at them again, and thank them for giving me the privilege to be a Mother. I love being a Mommy, I love being their Mommy.

A buttered bagel and hot cup of coffee await my arrival at the kitchen table. As I indulge, my three favorite people and I chat about what the rest of the day has in store.

A late brunch at one of the finest restaurants on the North Fork, with Grandma and Grammy turns out exquisite.

As we finish up brunch, with nothing really planned for the remainder of the day, Big D’s cell phone rings with a lovely invitation.

“We’re heading up to Martha Clara with the kids, hoping you can join us.”

“I will talk to P, I’m sure she’ll be in, sounds like fun.”

We spend the rest of the afternoon sipping wine with friends, as our children run and play in the open fields overlooking breathtaking views of grape filled vines. Kite flying, ball playing and picnic baskets are flowing. Animals are out for viewing and a pirate ship shaped playset occupy more of the time for our children. Fresh air and warm sun nestle us as we enjoyed all that Mother’s Day had to offer.

It truly was a day to remember. I hope yours was too.

Peace.

No comments: