Wednesday, May 27, 2009

No Adult, No Pool, That's our Rule!

While rounding out the holiday weekend at a friend's house, the kids were all geared up for a fun-filled afternoon of swimming and bbq.

"The rule is no one in the pool without an adult there," the hostess reminds the kids as they run towards the pool area.

Sighs, grunts and groans come from six very anxious children all ready for a sweet dip in the 82 degree heated pool.

"Come on Mom, I am a good swimmer," declares Schmoogie.

"Not my rule, not our pool. Sorry Schmoogie," my clever response.

As I assist our hostess with the final touches, Big D steps up to the plate and steps into lifeguard mode. The splashing begins.

Noodle, who always wears swimmies and holds onto a noodle or kickboard decides to jump in with the kickboard, sans swimmies. Big D is impressed.

Seconds later, Noodle lets go of the kickboard and sinks to the bottom of the pool. The lifeguard, decked out in his party gear, cell phone in one pocket, cash and wallet in the other, jumps in the pool and retrieves the very shaken Noodle.

After the scare, the day progresses without further incident, all is well. Glad I spent all that money on swimming lessons.

A rude awakening to say the least, considering our pool will be open on June 4th. Over dinner last night, I reminded my darling children that the previous day's event could have yielded a very different outcome, had Big D not been there. It was dramatic conversation, it needed to be. I made the announcement that there will be no swimming, no children in the pool area without an adult, no exceptions.

Sure, there was a little grief from Schmoogie, then the reminder that he didn't even notice his baby brother at the bottom of the pool, and even if he had, he couldn't have done anything to help him. Grief ceases.

For the first time, I am nervous about our pool.

Peace.

1 comment:

Nan Patience said...

And now I'm nervous about your pool. Thank God Dave was there to rescue Noodle!!!