Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Once upon a Prom

On Saturday, we sat on the coach and chatted before a very exciting day began. With uncertainty in his eyes, he says "Mom, I may have a shot at Prom King."

Wishful thinking is the immediate thought that came to mind. "Really Schmoogie, that would be cool, when is Prom?"

"Wednesday. You know Mom, the King and Queen are crowned based on the most gold slips you earn for excellent behavior and helping out without being asked, and I have a lot of gold slips."

Honestly, I am still thinking yeah, right....

Flash back four years, the old Schmoogie had just finished kindergarten and began camp for the first time. Aware of the gold slip awards, he earned two for the entire summer, approximately 8 weeks long.

Flash back three years, the old Schmoogie earned five gold slips for the entire summer....well, you get the point.

This year, he has been in camp for 2.5 weeks, and has earned the most gold slips in the entire camp. Coming in at 18 gold slips, his closest competitor, a girl two years older than him, had 14. OMG, I am so proud of him!!! Two and a half weeks people, 18 gold slips, unheard of!

At the prom today, he was crowned Prom King. He wore his crown with pride. He danced with pride. He sang karaoke with pride. He is the PROM KING!!

He didn't get as many pretzels as he had hoped, because the other kids gobbled them up as he was being CROWNED!

Oh my gawd, Schmoogie was the Prom King and I am his very, super proud Mommy!

3 comments:

Stef Kramer said...

Awesome! I was routing for him...

I am P said...

Thanks Stef!!

Nan Patience said...

I always thought prom kings has a glint of mischief in their eye.