Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Taco Night

I absolutely love Taco night!

Last night was Taco Night in the P house. On the ride home from daycare Noodle and I have a little heart to heart about dinner. See, he has never eaten taco's because he is a very picky eater, but I made a promise to myself and the rest of our family that once Noodle turned three, I was not going to make him something different for dinner, unless he tried it and really hated it.

First, let me preface this story with the walk from Daycare to the Car:
"Mama, can I have a lollipop on the way home?"
He assured me he had a good day at school, so I answer, "Sure, why not?".

Once in the car, the conversation begins:
"Noodle, tonight is taco night."

"I no like taco night."

"But I really think you will, so your gonna try them tonight."

"No Mom, I said, I no like tacos."

"I know what you said, but you haven't even tried them."

"I no like them."

"Well, you need to try them tonight, I promise you will love them."

"NO!" (slurp, slurp on the lollipop)

"Yes, Noodle, just give it the usual three bite, if you really don't like it after three bites, you don't have to eat it."

"NO, I said NO!"

...I pull the car over at this point...

"If your not going to even try the taco's, then you need to give me the loli."

"No."

"Give me the loli, right now."

"No."

"Noodle, only big boys can eat loli's, so, if you are not going to try the taco like a big boy then you need to give me the loli."

"NO!"

"Noodle" (said with that mom face...you know the one)

"OK, here."

At this point I am stunned, and almost at a loss of words. He gave the loli back!

"So, you're really not going to try the taco's?"

"No."

"Ok, fine, I guess the deer will have to eat your loli."

"NOOOOOO! Mommy, I will try the taco."

'Okay, Great, here's your loli! I know you are going to like the taco."

"I no like it."

(I am practicing my deep breathing at this point, and we begin driving again)

Arriving home to dinner on the table is wonderful. See, one of the best parts of Taco Night is that Big D preps it, cooks it and serves it. Schmoogie sets the table, and we eat as soon as Noodle and I get home. I, of course, clean up!

So I take a soft taco shell and fill it with a modest amount of meat, and sprinkle with cheese. I didn't even attempt the lettuce, tomatoes or sour cream...YUMMY, right? RIGHT.

"Oh, Mommy, I weeely like taco's, can I have anudda one when I finish wit this one?"

Two taco's later, we have officially added another food choice to the picky toddler's menu!


Peace.

No comments: