Monday, January 19, 2009

Resolution

I made two resolutions this year.

One was to lose weight, which I am doing.

The other was to stop saying the "F" word, which I am not.

I cant stop, it's as if it has been burned into my everyday vocabulary and is here to stay.

I want to stop. Really, I do. It's a terrible word and when I say it, I feel, classless.

The frequency of it's appearance in my vocabulary has diminished, so, does that mean I haven't totally broke my resolution?

Dictionary.com defines Resolve as: to come to a definite or earnest decision about; determine (to do something).

So, to me, a resolution as a promise or commitment to oneself to do (or not to do) something. In that case I have broken my promise to myself on more than one occasion, or did I only do that once?

I am confused.

And, why you may ask, do I even care.

Well, it's simple, if someone makes a promise to me, I expect them to keep it. If I make a promise to someone else, I always try to keep it.

If you don't keep your promises, there is usually some repercussion for it, not necessarily punitive, but perhaps in the form of hurt feelings, or the like. And who wants that?

That being said, I feel as if I need a repercussion for myself from breaking my "promise" to me. Is the guilt enough, because every time an f-bomb slips out, I feel guilty. I also re-resolve each and every time.

I haven't allowed any to slip out today, so maybe I am on my way to success with my resolution. And, maybe by tomorrow that one naughty little word may find its way out of my mouth. Either way, I will remain hopeful!

Peace

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always had a swearing temperament, but I've really curtailed the language over the years. First of all, Big Daddy really hates it when I curse. Second of all, like you, I think most people don't carry it off very well and end up sounding crass and classless. I don't want to sour Big Daddy or make anyone think I'm a big nobody, so I bite my lip most of the time (except when I let it fly). God knows I'm not looking for any trouble! But don't worry about cursing around me, Double P, from one dirty low down bitch to another.

I am P said...

I said it today, so I had to start over again. I am really working on it, I almost wanted to put soap in my own mouth today. It came out in front of a co-worker and it was a F-ing...ugggh.

Anonymous said...

I think it was local blogger Six (6fm.blogspot.com) who came up with the idea of a soap-flavored martini.