Thursday, January 15, 2009

Let it Snow!!

So it's been steadily snowing all day here on the North Fork. A beautiful, powdery display of flakes that is mesmerising. A continuous stream of baby puffs falling from the sky. I love snow. Big D hates it, well, it interferes with his livelihood, so its understandable. Me, I love snow, its pure, pretty, soft, yummy, fun. I remember being a child and making snow angels and snow people (no they weren't always men!). I remember sled riding, all over, in the sump, down the hill on our block, over where there are all kinds of houses now in the hood I grew up in, oh and that ever dangerous hill by Sunrise Highway! I would never bring my kids there now! There were tons of places Dad used to take us...we had so much fun.

Oh and then when we got older (we, the younger bro and me) we used to go skitchen'! Bad, bad, bad. There is nothing good about skitchen', it's probably one of the most dangerous things you could do. But, boy was that fun!! Well, fun, until either my parents found out or some other grown up in the old hood threatened to tell the parents. I recently reminisced about skitchen' over lunch with some colleagues. Many of them didn't even know what skitchen' was. Well for those of you who don't either, skitchen' is when you grab onto the back of a moving car's bumper and hold on until you fall off. A made up word? I suppose, it's coming up as misspelled for spellcheck. OMG, anyway, it was so much fun....way more dangerous and I would never tell Schmoogie and Noodle that I actually did that!

Back to the snow, today. My kids love to shovel snow even more than I loved to play outside in the snow. Yes, I said shovel. See, Schmoogie and Noodle do not go sledding, rarely have build a snow--, well they would solely build a snowman (it would most likely a sports snowman), and I don't even think they have ever made a snow angel (well, Schmoogie may have). They have sleds, snow tubes, all the gear, but they love their snow shovels.

Well boyz, you have a lot of shovelling to do tonight. Those new shovels that Santa brought you this year sure have been getting a workout this winter. As for me, I will be inside, next to Big D, in front of the roaring fire, waiting for you to come in with hot cocoa in hand, watching the flakes from the window!

Peace (and snow!)

No comments: