Tuesday, June 2, 2009

UPK for Noodle?

Our school district began offering a UPK program two years ago. I was thrilled, because Noodle will qualify, or so i thought, this September.

Our elementary school is UPK through 4th grade. Next year, Schmoogie will be in fourth grade, and Noodle becomes UPK age eligible. Perfect, Noodle will get to ride the bus with Schmoogie and get acclimated to the school making the kindergarten transition a breeze, right? WRONG.

It's a huge game, and we came out losers.

Mark your calendars for one of the coldest days in April that we have ever had and go wait outside of the building where registration will take place. Get there early (like 6:00 am, early), because space is limited, and it's first come first served procedure.

I arrive early, not 6 am early, but early enough. I stand outside freezing with the dozens of other parents eager to get their 4 (or almost 4) year olds into Pre-K. With necessary paperwork in hand, I make a mental checklist. Birth certificate, check. Tax returns, yes I said tax returns, check. Immunization record, check. Utility bill, check. I am all set.

UPK is a half day program, whereby you select am or pm class times, and need to have daycare lined up for the other part of the day. First and second year UPK classes included two am and two pm classes and, you could request that they bus your child to your daycare center afterwards, perfect! CHECK, CHECK, CHECK!!!

I excitedly complete the necessary paperwork and stand in line, waiting for two hours to finally be greeted by the Registrar, who informs me:

There will only be one am and one pm class, unless the budget changes. We no longer bus to your daycare choice. Because Noodle will not turn four by September, he cannot board the bus, you will need to drive him until his 4th birthday. Low income families, and those with special needs will get priority.

Check, check....CHECK OUT! Why didn't they tell me this before???

Call me dumb, but I remain hopeful. Maybe the second set of classes will open up and I could drive him back and forth for two month, oh, and maybe I will get a babysitter or a Nanny, at least Noodle will get to ride the bus with Schmoogie for most of of his first year of academics.

WHAT AM I CRAZY?! Well, as it turns out, yes, I am crazy.

Months have past without notification, so I call the UPK coordinator. Here is what I heard...

Noodle is number 7 on the waiting list. We had more indigent applicants this year than usual, and they have filled up most of the available slots. Unless another class opens, it sounds like your son will not be able to attend.

WHAT!?

I wonder how much those who were accepted pay in school taxes each year. OH YES I DID GO THERE! I am pretty burned by this whole procedure.

So, he will stay at his daycare, who offers a wonderful Pre-K program, for next year, and will have to board the bus without his big bro, should be interesting. As usual, I am keeping a positive attitude that he will not hang on my leg to the point of being shaken off to get on that kindergarten bus.

Peace.

2 comments:

Nan Patience said...

That sucks. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys. I'm glad you let them know how you feel about it. Who else can you call in the district and make some noise??

Anonymous said...

Ask for the UPK charter or program guidelines to see where it says indigant beats all others,... the threat of a parent advocate helps as well. Call the union as well for some inside scoop, they can certainly tell you what docs to ask for and alike. what about ehri funding? Is it provided through a grant like so many other districts UPK, what are the governing practices of such monies???AHHHHHHHHH