Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I am Riding for a Cure

When my life long friend called me nearly 8 years ago to tell me her 7 year old daughter was admitted to the hospital, I, like anyone else, was devastated to find out more.


"She has been diagnosed with childhood diabetes, aka, Type 1 diabetes", she explained.


"She will be insulin dependent for the rest of her life", she sobbed.


I immediately drove to the hospital. We cried, we hugged, we thought of how this would not only change her daughter's life, but how it would change the entire family. There were two other sisters, one older, one younger.


We continued to talk, and then, I remember saying to her, you know, lets be grateful that it's only diabetes, and nothing worse.

Just then, things changed. My friend realized that she could muster up the strength to take the disease head on and learn how to live with it. It's not life threatening, after all, unless it goes untreated.

So, learn she did. She read and watched everything she could get her hands on. Sugars, carb counting, insulin measurements, oh my. Within no time, she was an expert.


Today, at fifteen (15) my dear friends daughter is a happy, otherwise healthy, gorgeous teen.


Recently, when I learned the Tour de Cure would be in my neighborhood, it was a no brainer. In five minutes (literally, thanks to Facebook) I assembled a team, and was registered to ride 16 miles to help find a cure for this disease on Saturday, June 27th.


As a participant, I need to raise money for the cause, and could really use some help. Would you sponsor me?


Peace

1 comment:

Angela Torres Magee said...

Great job Paula! I am also glad to hear that your friends daughter is doing well!! It's all about educating yourself to be able to fight these ugly diseases!! Cant wait till June 27th!!