Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Freezing H2O





The science fair exhibit took place last Thursday at Schmoogie's school. Participation is voluntary, but because we never have enough to do (wink) participation is a self induced requirement for Schmoogie.

I encouraged a simple, easy to controlled science project that could be done in a very short time frame this year. We, and I say we, because he didn't do the project on his own, had some spare time the weekend before, so we set up our project.

The objective was to find out if water temperature has an impact on the rate at which water will freeze. I wanted to know, because I remember being told that warm water is a must if you need ice cubes in a hurry.

Three clearly labeled cups in the freezer. Set the timer. Schmoogie flies back upstairs to get back to Wii bowling. I watch the timer and straighten the kitchen. Timer buzzes. Schmoogie runs down, checks the three cups, gleefully records his data, snaps some photos, back up to Wii bowling.

This process continues every four minutes for some time. Results: cold water is the winner. Cold water freezes faster than warm or hot. Go figure!

The Tri-fold Board arranged so eloquently (if I do say so myself) to display our hypothesis, data, pics, etc.

While every effort was made, we missed the science fair this year due to lacrosse practice and my kickboxing class, just far too much to do that night.

The next morning at school, all students that participated in the science fair were invited to a special bagel breakfast.

Much to Schmoogie surprise, when he was called up to receive his participation certificate he also was the proud recipient of the second place ribbon for third grade projects!!

Go Schmoogie!

Peace.



1 comment:

Nan Patience said...

Good for Shmoogie (and when I say Shmoogie, I mean Paula), and not so good for the Patience household, which didn't manage to get our (and when I say our I mean not mine) act together this year...