Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Saint Schmoogie Day!

Nine years ago today, I was very large, very uncomfortable, and, very anxious. I was very pregnant with Schmoogie. I remember the day vividly. It was Friday, March 17th, Saint Patrick’s Day 2000.

At the end of my regular work day, as a colleague said goodbye, she gave me a hug and said “next time we see you, you will be two, that baby is coming this weekend”. Intuition, perhaps, a good guess, maybe, a way to enduce a smile on my very swollen face, could have been. Whatever it was, I wasn’t due until the following Friday, and since many first babies are late, I figured she was wrong and I would be back on Monday.

I went home that night, Friday and Saturday were without much excitement, as you could imagine.

Sunday morning, after breakfast, Big D and I decided that we would reorganize his office. You know kind of spruce it up a bit, a new baby was coming after all. The Nursery was done, it had been ready for weeks, maybe even months. The bassinet was set and we were so excited at the thought of becoming parents.

Progress on the office project was nil, and we were in the hospital within a few hours. Late that night, Big D and I became Mommy and Daddy! She was right, I didnt go back to work for a while!

Saint Patrick’s Day has an unusual meaning to me. It’s a day of reflection most years, a day when I recall that immense anticipation of the arrival of my Schmoogie and smile. What an amazing feeling. I love you Schmoogie!

Happy St. Patty’s Day to all!

Peace.

1 comment:

Nan Patience said...

happy bday to Shmoogie-Woogie-Snoooogie-Loooogie!

Where does the time go?