Thursday, March 5, 2009

The City That Doesn't Sleep

Big D and I took the kids to see Shrek the Musical on Broadway last Sunday.

First official family trip to NYC. Kind of hard to believe when we live so close, we just don’t journey into the city that often. We took the tunnel in, and of course the boys were captivated by the thought of underwater travel. Oh my, who thought of that, anyway? It really is awesome, but while traveling through the tunnel, I always have this sudden urge to hold my breath. I guess I‘m awaiting the tunnel giving way and flushing us into the East River, never to be seen again. Crazy.

We passed and awed at the typical NYC skyline and its magnificent sites, and sighed as we remembered those that do not exist anymore.

We arrive in the city with plenty of time to spare, so we stroll down to Time Square, (Schmoogie is still spellbound that he stood in the actual location where the ball drops every year) and grab a bite at the ESPN Zone. Schmoogie just couldn’t get over how many televisions they have in that place, man, it really is insane. He was thrilled that just above his head, no matter which way he turned, there was a game on. He didn’t care what was on, he’ll watch any sport; well, I don’t think he cares much for cricket, but hey you never know. Noodle was just glad to have his butt planted in a chair, and not be walking on those tired, lil, three year old tootsies anymore!

After we had our share of pub food, laughs and plenty of sports-themed video games, we hit the bricks and headed back down Broadway to the Theater. On the way, we happened upon a man seated against a cement storefront, shaking a paper coffee cup with some coins in it. Schmoogie made inquiry as to why someone would do such a thing. I was careful to contemplate my answer for a moment, not spewing out my original cynical thoughts, which were, he’s probably addicted to something and needs a fix. Instead, I explain to him that he is most likely homeless, unemployed, and needs money for a warm meal.

Concerned for the poor soul, he says, “Hey Mom, Do you think he can collect enough money to get a house”?

“Na, Schmoog’s, he just needs to get enough for dinner tonight”.

He lets it go a while, until his inquisitively gets the best of him, and then he asks, “Where is he going to go tonight Mom, is he just going to walk around this big city all night”?

“Not sure Schmoogie, maybe he will find a warm place to sleep”.

“But Mom, if he doesn’t have anywhere to go…”

I swiftly cut him off and declare “Oh, here we are! Here it is, Shrek the Musical! Here’s the Broadway Theater”.

I have pondered why I was so happy to not have to continue that conversation. I have come up with the following:

We were having an amazing family day in the city, and I didn’t want anything negative to impact our day. However, experiencing a pan handler on a city street is a normal occurrence everyday in the city and perhaps I could have handled it differently. The city has so much to offer with its amazing sites, history, culture, theater, museums, excitement and splendor; however, in some places it is just drizzled with filth. In retrospect, I should have not feared the explanation, but rather relished it for its life lesson. Upon having this revelation, I remembered why we don’t visit the city too often. We live on the north fork of one of the most beautiful islands in the world, why would we want to leave?

The show was amazing. The kids had a blast, Big D and I loved it as well.
Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Paula,
After reading about your NYC trip, I couldn't help but think about a trip I made there years ago. The trip was for a Shawn Cassidy Concert at Madison Square Garden.. I went with you, your Mom and my little girl. Do you remember ? You Mom and I had to answer the same kind of questions that you just had to. Why are those men sleeping in the street ? Why do they ask for money ? And the big one for you girls was, why are they so dirty ?