Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Baby is getting Big!

Noodle is wearing underwear to bed. Mom’s know the enormity of this event. Going from pull-ups at night to undies is a huge milestone leading right into big boyhood. I am happy and devastated all at the same time.

He’s my baby, and I don’t want him to get big.
Selfish? Sure. Do I care? Not really.
If you ask Noodle, he will tell you Mommy wants me to stay little and Daddy wants me to get big.

I wanted Schmoogie to achieve all of the milestones “early”, he was my first, and he was and still is, awesome. I corrected all of the things he said incorrectly; he needed to learn proper speech. I made sure he had every single, overpriced, learning toy on the market. Many of which he never even played with. I explained everything to him. Read all the books, magazine articles and websites I could. He did everything early, proper and perfect, so I thought!

Noodle, while in the same house, under the same guidance, has learned things a tad differently. I do not correct his speech, I no longer think it’s improper, but rather, cute. He has some learning toys, but they are not a necessity. I still read, but don’t take everything literally. And he is not perfect, nor is Schmoogie. I spend as much time, but don't fret if life takes over.

Second children are often raised differently. Experience, perhaps. For me, I knew he was my last baby. I guess a part of me doesn’t want to give my baby up, and having another is not an option. I love that he achieves, accomplishes and does all the things kids his age, do. He yearns to be big, he wants to do everything big brother does, and he is ever so proud of himself for his accomplishments. I am too, but it makes me sad at times. I know it’s selfish, maybe even silly to some, and I would never impede his growth, I love him too much.

I miss my baby.

He looks at me differently lately, he speaks differently, lately, he’s getting too heavy to hold and carry now, he just started wearing the next clothing size, size 4T, which is the last size with the “T” next to it. OMG, he’s not a baby, he’s almost not even a toddler. He is becoming a big boy, and I have mixed feelings. I am proud, I am happy, I adore him, I love him, and, who he is becoming, but, I truly miss my baby.

Peace.

No comments: