Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Happy Birthday

Last week, at the karate school where I take kickboxing classes, I noticed that the women who runs the school was having a birthday this month. I wished her a happy and asked if I had missed it.

"No", she said, with that "I don't want to have another birthday" look on her face, "it's next Wednesday".

With curiosity, wondering why she would upset, I ask, "is it a BIG birthday this year"?

"No, I am gonna be 44", with a scowl, as if her life was over.

I say, "44 is a good age". Me who is going to be 39, looking 44 in the eye, thinking, I will be OK with that, I have so much now, in five years I will have even more.

Big D is turning 40 this summer, and it's all good. We will have a celebration, to which he will be surprised about. A celebration. A celebration of getting older, wiser, more mature and proud of who you are as a person. Schmoogie turns nine next month, oh my, now that's a totally different post!

In our family, birthdays are always celebrated, embraced and happy, no matter what the age. Kids are always exited about birthdays. My kids don't care if it's their birthday or someone elses, they smile. (certainly they prefer their own, for the presents!) They love to sing Happy Birthday, they love to blow out candles, they love cake. What's not to love about birthdays?

I looked at the almost 44 year old and said, "you ought to be happy about your birthday". Celebrate! Celebrate your accomplishments, look back and recognize those things you are most proud of and those you would never repeat".

She looked at me oddly and said, "hmmm, never thought of it that way. I may become even more sad if I have to look at my accomplishments, I sure wished for more for myself by now".

Accomplishments are not always measured monetarily. I reminded her of her loving husband, amazing son, and assumed she had a wonderful, warm and inviting home, where she felt comfortable and safe. Those are real accomplishments, those that should be celebrated.

At that point, she smiled and realized that her life's accomplishments are rich.

I need to make a phone call to wish her a very special and HAPPY birthday today.

As an aside, Sunday evening, while fiddling with something in my Dining Room, (the site of most family birthday celebration's) Noodle entered quietly, dimmed the lights and began to sing "Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you..." I joined in and we wished everyone who had a birthday that day a very happy one.

Peace

1 comment:

Nan Patience said...

It's a funny thing, that so many people reach a certain age and feel like failures, like they wanted and expected so much more from themselves and from life than they've been able to pull off.