Monday, February 9, 2009

Football Dad

The weather has been frightful here on the NoFo, until this Saturday, when it really began to warm up.

Schmoogie had a basketball game and a subsequent playdate with one of his bball buddies later that afternoon. Much to my surprise, and as I am about to leave for a haircut appointment, I notice that Big D not only brought home one bball buddy, but two. Big undertaking for Big D, who also will have the well rested, soon to be up from a nap, Noodle to deal with.

I cannot help but smile as I get into the car, say whew to myself and high tail it out of the driveway. He'll be fine.

Approximately one hour and fifteen (all to myself) minutes later, I return home to the same place I high tailed out of to find the same smile on my face. As I look at the wanting to be green, water saturated grass, I see four children, one toddler, and the best Daddy on the block playing a football game. Big D recruited yet a third boy for the playdate, a neighborhood child that I adore, so Big D could become official quarterback and the boys could enjoy a well balanced, fair and even teamed game of football.

The toddler child, Noodle, ran aimlessly after another football that Schmoogie and his friends feverishly threw anywhere on the grass and yelled "run Noodle, run, yeah, touchdown"!

It started getting colder and one of the boys asked for a sweatshirt, then another, another and another, until they were all sweatshirt-ed up and I ran into to turn on the tea kettle. Hot cocoa all around. I quickly made six cups of cocoa and set up a plate of cookies.

They started filing in, hungry, cold and thirsty. After a well needed round of gatorade, I direct them to the dining room.

Big D sat in the dining room with the five boys and I stood in the doorway watching them sip cocoa and snack on cookies, listening to the days best plays, the worst plays, those that were executed perfectly and those not, smiling as they all giggle, sip and chew. I listened to Big D compliment the boys, encourage them to practice in areas of need and answer questions they had about plays.

As I stood there, I couldn't help but think how lucky my children are to have been blessed with one of the best fathers in the world. Then it occurred to me, hey, I'm darn lucky too!

Peace.

No comments: