Thursday, March 18, 2010

We Bent Lent

While driving home with my amazingly intelligent first borne on Ash Wednesday the following conversation occurred:

"Hey Schmoog's, have you thought about what you might give up for lent?"

"Yes, Mom, I actually have."

Shocked that he even has given such a religious practice any thought at all, I eagerly inquire, "Oh, really, what?"

"Brushing my teeth."

Trying not to bust out laughing, I answer him calmly, "I don't think that's what Jesus meant. You know, Schmoogie, you're supposed to give up something that you really like, or enjoy."

"Fine Mom, then I will give up taking showers."

Jeeze, what's with this kid and wanting to throw hygiene out the window?

"Uh, I don't think so."

"Why not, you know I love taking showers Mom, I always sing in the shower."

"Yes, Schmoogie, you do love taking showers, but again, that is not what Jesus meant."

"I know Mom, I was just kidding. I think I will give up candy for lent."

Bingo, now we're getting somewhere.

"Great choice. I'll tell you what, I will give up candy too. This way we can be a team....Team Lenten."

Two days pass, and the little beast comes to me with this, "Mom, you know that bag of goodies you gave me for Valentine's Day?"

"Sure, why?"

"Well, there is some really great candy in there, there is no way I can do this lent thing."

And just like that, lent was dead. Maybe next year I can be a more forceful Catholic.

Peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i actually enjoy your own writing style, very helpful.
don't quit and keep penning due to the fact that it simply just well worth to read it.
excited to look into more and more of your current writing, have a pleasant day ;)

Double P said...

Well that was very nice of you!! Thank you Aonymous!! Wish I knew who you were ;0)

Double P said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.